OVERVIEW OF WGNV
The mission of the Working Group on New TB Vaccines is to facilitate research and development of new vaccines to prevent TB by providing an inclusive forum for stakeholders to engage in scientific exchange, build consensus, and advocate for greater support and investment in TB vaccine R&D.
The Working Group on New TB Vaccines (WGNV) was established in 2001. It is one of the nine Working Groups of the Stop TB Partnership. Its purpose is to facilitate the development of new, more effective TB vaccines through collaboration, cooperation, and consensus; and to support the objectives for TB vaccine R&D in the Global Plan to End TB.
The WGNV is an informal network of stakeholders engaged in all aspects of TB vaccine R&D and from all constituencies, including academics, product developers, clinicians, advocates, and affected communities. Membership is open to anyone who is interested in being engaged and involved in TB vaccine R&D.
OVERVIEW OF WGNV CORE GROUP
The WGNV Core Group (CG) is responsible for ensuring the effectiveness of the WGNV through setting strategic direction, accelerating decision making and identifying priority areas of work. CG members are the foundation of the WGNV and must be willing/able to devote time to WGNV activities.
The CG is expected to:
- Oversee and engage in the activities of WGNV
- Monitor progress of WGNV activities
- Assist WGNV Chair/Co-Chairs in addressing strategic and operational issues
- Actively participate in at least one WGNV sub-group or task force
- Meet regularly as required, by telephone or in person
- Collaborate with and consult other Stop TB WGs, Partnership Secretariat, and partners on cross-cutting issues
- Serve as an independent, technical, expert advisory group where required by the Stop TB Partnership and partners
- Ability to work in written and spoken English
- Regular access to internet, email, and phone service
WGNV CG members are expected to contribute a minimum of two (2) hours per month, although actual time per month will vary based on activities. This time is not compensated.
WGNV Core Group Constituency Categories
In order to bring diverse perspectives to the discussions and work of the WGNV, seats on the Core Group are based on constituency groups, with four standing members. Constituency groups include:
- Academic/research institutions
- Industry/private sector
- Clinical trial sites
- Public sector funders
- Philanthropic funders
- Developed country advocates
- Affected communities
- Early career researchers
- IAVI (standing member, co-chair)
- TBVI (standing member, co-chair)
- IVR/WHO (standing member)
- Global TB Vaccine Partnership (GTBVP) (standing member)
Each representative should demonstrate the following:
- Experience working in partnerships
- Ability to be an effective representative of their constituency group in WGNV discussions, activities, and planning
- Commitment to increasing the visibility of TB vaccine R&D in the overall TB and public health agenda
- Willingness and ability to play a leadership role in developing and advancing the activities strategies of the WGNV that fall within their area(s) of expertise
Early Career Researcher
The early career researcher position on the WGNV Core Group brings the perspective of early career investigators to the Core Group and to WGNV strategic planning. The early career researcher will lead efforts to make the WGNV an inviting platform for this constituency and will present idea for activities and programs that would help support and advance the next generation of TB researchers. The term for this position is two years.
In addition to the expectations of all Core Group members as noted above, the Early Career Researcher representative should meet the following additional criteria:
- Has a demonstrated interest in TB vaccines, TB immunology, or other TB-related research
- Completed post-doctoral research or clinical training within the past 10 years
- Has established independent funding and/or research has gone through a programmatic internal review process
Early career researchers who are interested in being considered for this position on the Core Group should submit a CV and a letter of interest by 30 September 2020 to email@example.com
Click here for a PDF version of this position description.
If you would like to learn more about the WGNV and how you can be involved, please contact us!Contact Us