The Working Group and its activities support the seven objectives outlined in the Vaccines section of the Global Plan to Fight TB 2011-2015 (see page 76 and further), which are:
- Maintain a robust TB vaccine pipeline by supporting research and discovery.
- Conduct research to identify correlates of protection, and preclinical studies to assess new TB vaccine candidates.
- Ensure availability of vaccine production capacity by expanding manufacturing facilities for TB vaccines.
- Build capacity for large-scale clinical trials (Phases II and III) of TB vaccine candidates at field sites in TB endemic countries.
- Conduct Phases I, II and III clinical trials of TB vaccine candidates.
- Develop delivery, regulatory and access strategies for new TB vaccines.
- Build support for TB vaccine development and uptake through advocacy, communications and resource mobilization.